Our centre cook Giorgio used this recipe in our winter menu. Last week one of our families ask for the recipe, so here it is:
- 2 brown/yellow onions
- 1 tbsp olive oil See Note 1
- 550 gm pumpkin See Note 2 and 4
- 550 gm sweet potato See Note 2 and 3
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 cups (1 litre) vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- coconut cream, fresh herbs, toasted pumpkin seeds
- Peel and finely slice onions.
- Peel and cut pumpkin and sweet potato into small cubes.
- In a large saucepan over a medium heat, cook onions in the oil for a couple of minutes.
- Add the sweet potato, pumpkin, and the spices. Stir until well coated. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add vegetable stock and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Use an immersion blender, food processor or blender; blend the soup until it is smooth.
- Make sure the consistency is to your liking - add a little extra stock or water to thin the soup out if you wish.
- Optional - drizzle the soup with coconut cream or a garnish of your choice; fresh herbs or pumpkin seeds are great options.
- In Australia, the tablespoon is 20 ml or 4 teaspoons. In many other countries, the tablespoon is 15 ml or 3 teaspoons. You may have to adjust your measurements accordingly.
- This is the weight once you have peeled and chopped the pumpkin and sweet potato.
- If you are not using sweet potato, add less stock, as you'll lose the extra starch the potato provides.
- I use either Butternut or Kent Pumpkin in this recipe, but other types of pumpkin work.
- Please note, the nutritional information is based on the recipe making approximately 8 cups. One cup is equal to 250ml. This does not include the garnish you serve with the recipe.
Calories: 222kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1020mg | Potassium: 1020mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 31713IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 2mg
(photo and recipe by Alexandra and sourced from https://itsnotcomplicatedrecipes.com/wprm_print/219)