The Nursery 3 educators made some play dough last week with their children. They had lots of fun rolling and using the shape cutters. Play dough is fantastic for developing fine motor co-ordination and is really easy to make with your children at home.
Below please find the recipe and instructions to make your very own no-cook play dough.
- 2 cups plain flour (all purpose)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (baby oil and coconut oil work too)
- 1/2 cup salt.
- 2 tablespoons cream of tartar.
- 1 to 1.5 cups boiling water (adding in increments until it feels just right)
- food colouring of your choice
Measure out all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix them all together. Make a well and add the vegetable oil followed by a few drops of food colouring. Finally, slowly pour the hot water into the bowl and stir the ingredients to form a dough. Make sure you don't pour too much water into the bowl, as this makes the play dough stick to your hands. If you want to use the play dough immediately, use 1 cup of hot water and use cold water for the remainder. This will ensure that the play dough is not hot for small fingers to play with and roll.
Try these variations:
- Add a few drops of lavender or rose oil.
- Add some rice for a texture experience.
- Add some glitter.
Store in an air tight container in the fridge for a week.