Small children love to explore. So doing a checklist of potential dangers in your living room is also a good idea. Make sure to get down to your child’s level in order to see what they see from their height.
- Children always find cords fascinating and like to put them in their mouths or simply tie them around their necks. Either remove the cords entirely, shorten them if possible or tie them up on a hook higher up the wall to avoid strangulation.
- Children seem to be fascinated by heaters so keep them out of your child’s reach to avoid nasty burns.
- Children love to climb over sofas, onto coffee tables, shelves or simply anything that creates a challenge. Make sure you organise your furniture and secure shelves to the wall. This way the children don’t pull them over and hurt themselves.
- If you love showing off your beautiful vases or any other fine ornaments, make sure they are at a height well out of reach of your exploring children or in a locked cupboard. Just remember they don’t understand the difference between their toys and yours.
- If you don’t have an air conditioner but you own a fan make sure this is kept out of your child’s reach. Children will find the fan a fascinating object and wonder what would happen if they stuck their finger into the spinning blades. As we all know prevention is better than cure and we don’t want them cutting their fingers.
- Children love making a mess, although not intentional they move from one activity to another. This can become a real tripping hazard for everyone, including adults. So make sure you clean up regularly.